Sewing Tips and Tricks
- Wool is shorn from the sheep.
- Cotton is grown as a crop, picked, cleaned, spun.
- Hemp is grown as a crop. Can be semi synthetic.
- Bamboo or Bamboo Rayon is a manufactured fiber.
- Rayon is a manufactured fiber made from wood pulp.
- Modal is a manufactured fiber made from beech trees.
- Tencel or lyocell is a cellulose fiber, made from eucalyptus trees.
- Grams per square meter
- The larger the number the heavier the fabric is
- A good sweatshirt fleece would be at least 300 gsm
- A man’s undershirt about 120gsm
Give and Stretch
- One-way: stretch on the crossgrain.
- Two way: stretch in 2 directions.
- Four-way: Stretch in all directions, across, lengthwise and on bias.
- Stretch matters-patterns designed for knits generally have fewer pieces and less shaping details.
- Woven patterns will not allow for the stretch that knits do.
- Fold your fabric perpendicular to the selvage.
- Hold the fold over the ruler, placing one edge at 0, the other at 6”.
- Stretch the fold until the fabric is taunt, note measurement.
If it stretches from 6 to 6 1/2" = 8%
If it stretches from 6" to 7" = 16%
If it stretches from 6" to 8" = 30%
If it stretches from 6" to 9" = 50%
If it stretches from 6” to 12” = 100%
Along the grain (in the length):
Fold your fabric parallel with the finished edge of the fabric (selvage), away from the edge
This pod tote bag is made with our 1mil pul fabric that is made in the USA. This makes a waterproof bag for diapers, traveling, wet clothing etc.
She has a free pattern in the description of the video